For thousands of people around the country, their smiles are a source of shame and social anxiety. Many people have one or more missing teeth; this can cause a lack of confidence in social situations and may even be the cause of emotional distress and depression. The good news is that having dental implants can restore all of that lost confidence.
Why People Have Missing Teeth
It was not uncommon for previous generations to have a number of missing teeth. Our grandparents likely did not have the health opportunities that we do now in terms of visiting the dentist. These days, we understand much better the importance of going to the dentist and maintaining good oral health.
Despite this, it would be wrong to assume that a person with missing teeth suffers from poor oral hygiene and has not brushed his or her teeth enough over the years. There are a number of reasons why someone might be missing one or more teeth, including but not limited to:
- A traumatic impact, such as a sporting injury or other accident
- The loss of teeth as a result of an illness
- Damaged and lost teeth due to medical treatment and some powerful medications
- Neglected dental health over a long period of time
- The loss of bone from teeth due to pregnancy and the resultant loss of those teeth
In all of these cases, the good news is that seeking the help of a professional dentist who performs dental implants in Burnley will be beneficial.
Why Dental Implants?
While one may certainly choose to live with a few missing teeth, it can actually have an impact on long-term health. When teeth are missing, other teeth may actually shift positions. Depending on where the missing teeth are, the cheeks may cave in to fill the space and look hollow in appearance. In some cases, speech may also change. All of this can lead to a loss of confidence, social anxiety, and even depression.
Dental implants provide the following benefits in these cases:
- Durability: The titanium screws used to anchor the tooth the bone of the jaw are strong and the implanted tooth itself is composed of a material that is strong and durable. With the correct maintenance and cleaning, dental implants can last for many years.
- Natural Look: Dental techniques have improved to the point that any implanted teeth are practically indistinguishable from existing teeth. They will be a match in terms of colour and overall appearance, making it almost impossible that someone else would be able to tell the difference.
Sadly, many thousands of people around the country suffer in silence when it comes to missing teeth. Professionally-installed dental implants can change all of this and restore lost confidence and quality of life.